Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Constant Friend

Two years ago I married Jon on top of Spirit Mountain in Duluth. Time has gone so fast; it feels like it was just a few months ago. Two years later here we are living in Madison with a gorgeous son, Jon's professional life moving forward. One of us will comment, usually at least once a day, about how good life is. We are so lucky. I am so lucky. I came across our vows tonight, I love them:

I, (name), take you, (name), to be my (husband/wife), my constant friend, my faithful partner and my love from this day forward. In the presence of God, our family and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.


This was one of the best days of my life. 




We have invited Henry into our lives since having said these vows and he has added an incredible new aspect to our family and to our relationship. I love watching Jon be Henry's dad and I love watching the two of them together. Henry was so excited the other day when Jon walked in the door that he started doing a crazy excited laugh/cry/grunt type thing, not quite able to contain his emotions. 

In the mornings when he knows Jon is leaving for school, Henry will lean dramatically out of my arms towards Jon. When it's time to leave, we walk Jon down to his car - Henry carried by Dad and me relegated to carrying something else (like the garbage from his room with the dirty wipes). They “baby wrestle” together in the evenings and I am serenaded by little shrieks of joy coming from the other room. A simple game of Peek-a-Boo on their knees can unleash a thunder of baby belly laughs.

Sunday, when Jon came home and Henry heard his voice, he searched around frantically to find him, his little head going every which way as fast as could be. When Jon was finally located, he was greeted with a large smile and laugh as he came in the door. Last night he practically leaped into his arms when he came home. When Jon handed him back to me to use the bathroom, Henry started to cry when Jon left the room. He adores his Dad. I do too.

I am so lucky. These have been the best two years of my life.



1 comment:

  1. great post -congrats you three - and cheers to many more wonderful years & memories

    ReplyDelete