Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy

There are only a few blogs I follow closely; but now that I would like to refer to a blog post I recently read, I cannot find it. However, this particular post focused on how often we talk about how "busy" we are; how, when people ask how we have been or what we have been up to, many times we will say, "Well, we've been busy!" And how this is an appropriate and satisfactory response to that question. Since having read that blog post, I have been very aware of this response and have heard it many, many (many) times. Listen for it...I bet you will too. I have heard it when I have asked the question, "How have you guys been?", have heard it when passing by people talking to one another in the store and at the park, and have even had that answer SUGGESTED to me (it happened this morning) when I was asked by a favorite neighbor how we have been...he said, "Busy?"

I understand this response and I understand the question from my neighbor this morning. What I would like to imagine is responding to that question with something like, "Oh, not much," and receiving an approving smile. 

The past two weeks, we have been playing at the park, throwing rocks in the river, reading a lot of books, splashing with water on the deck, taking (really) long walks, learning our bugs, admiring the fire engines, eating popsicles on the deck, watering the plants, watching the trains, talking with friends over dinner, walking to the ice cream store, and shoveling sand into buckets. 






Sure we've been busy, but we take our time doing these things. And hopefully I'm not exasperated, telling you this like it's a chore. Doing my best to slow down, savor the moments and put the brakes on this time, oh so fleeting.



No comments:

Post a Comment