Sunday, January 25, 2015

10 Years Gone By...


10 years ago today I was on an airplane out over the Atlantic, surrounded by strangers and wondering what the next two years would entail - January 25th is the day we flew out to Zambia, after a short stay in Philadelphia, to embark on a journey called "Peace Corps service." 

It's a world and an experience that feels so far away from my past few adult years in Madison and Duluth, but one on which I have spent some of this weekend reflecting. Those strangers turned into some of my dearest friends and my experience largely shaped me into who I am today.

I spent some time earlier today reading back through this blog post I wrote almost four years ago about my experience - this section brought out some of the feeling in me today:

My time abroad changed me, which any traveler will tell you and they will mean it wholeheartedly; I have done two full and complete “180s” in my life, both due to travel - to new perspectives, new experiences, new realities. I met some of my dearest friends in these two and a half years. I learned some of my most beautiful lessons. I had some of my hardest days. I experienced some of my sweetest moments. I was enraged into mild violence. I was humbled into deep peace. I listened to the BBC every day. I lived in a hut made of mud. I walked down a path to get my water. I had to start a fire in order to eat. I fell asleep to the sound of drumming. I burned my house down. I drank too much beer. I ran too many miles. I read by candlelight. I used a latrine. I threw rocks at goats. I swore passionately at chickens. I partied until sunrise. I cried hard. I laughed harder. I met incredible people and developed relationships that will forever remain due to the bond of ‘common intense experience’.

Far away, but close at heart. 10 years has gone by in a flash...



1 comment:

  1. Wow, 10 years!!! I remember the night before you left—playing air hockey at a bar in Virginia. Love the section you pulled out from your old blog post. What a journey. Good stuff, friend :)

    ReplyDelete