I am in the world of education, reading education mainly, and we serve kids age three through third grade. It has been through this world that I have learned about the importance of affirmations. I am not talking about the "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough," Stuart Smalley affirmations that I used to think about when I heard this word, but specific, descriptive and genuine affirmations (using their names) that are so important to give to kids. For example: Not just a half-hearted, distracted, "Good job," given to a child when she carries her bowl carefully over to the sink, but a "Nice job carrying that bowl, Emma, I really like how you held it with both hands and walked slowly to the sink so you didn't trip and spill." It might seem like overkill, but I'm learning more and more about the importance of affirming kids in this way. And I like it.
At work we make jokes about this, giving each other crazy descriptive affirmations about ridiculous things - just to practice the concept and to add to our top-notch workplace humor. (We even have an extensive list of descriptive adjectives from which to choose.) But we also use this with each other professionally. And I like it. We affirm others' efficiency, or their tendency to go out of their way to help a colleague. I had one co-worker stop me out of the blue last week to affirm that something I had said to her made a significant difference in her day. It was something small and without the descriptive explanation, I may not have even remembered it. I felt so good after she told me this. Her affirmation took less than fifteen seconds to convey and I left with a happy feel-good spring in my step.
On campus one Sunday while I was working on my paper, a stranger said to me, "You have been here longer than I have and are so focused. You are devoted. Good luck." I got a burst of energy to continue pounding out boring paragraph upon paragraph. I was recharged. I hadn't even noticed her sitting there.
I have been working to incorporate affirmations into all aspects of my life. I try to stop and take notice and affirm that I have taken notice whenever I can. People do so many great things and it takes just seconds to recognize these things and make that person perk up and almost shine. Not only is this important for kids, it can make a big difference to adults. And I like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment