Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tentative. And Hopeful.

I have been contemplating starting a blog for some time now. To add one more thing to my week sounded at first overwhelming, but I've decided it will be a good creative and reflective outlet. I'm not sure how I feel about doing so online, but it seems to be my norm in recent days. Enrolled in an intense online course this semester, starting a new very "online" based job recently, and working through four months of virtual marriage as my husband spends time learning Spanish in Mexico, why NOT make my journal virtual as well? Every other aspect of my life is.

Since beginning to ponder writing a blog, I have wondered, "Does one need something to write ABOUT?" Some of my friends blog mainly about their Peace Corps experiences, their kids, gratitude in general, art, cooking, etc. I don't have one thing I am interested in or that I love or that is the particular focus of my days. My hobbies change, my opinions and views of most things evolve as I live. I had a conversation with a coworker recently about how most things are rather tentative. I have always thought this. Of course there are the concrete things on which we can depend, but no matter the plans we make or the course we think we will stay on for time...it changes. It alters. It detours. It's tentative.

I see this as a positive. I love change. I do well with change and flexibility and tentative things. And by tentative I mean: unsure; uncertain; not definite or positive. It can make some people uneasy, but I thrive in these circumstances. I think part of the reason why is because I remain hopeful. Hopeful that there is something even better that I never dreamed, hopeful that I was wrong and now this new thing is right. Hopeful that something even MORE exciting than what I thought about is on its way. Hence, "Tentative. And Hopeful." There are other titles in the running, one of my husband's favorites remains "Rum and Cheese." I like the two-word blog titles connected by an 'and.' A friend of mine blogs about Kids and Eggs (she teaches Kindergarten, has three kids of her own, and is raising 60-some chickens...I think there are turkeys in there too somewhere). Another about Art and Candy (she is a graphic designer and likes sweets). Why not combine two of my favorite things into my title? I believe a coworker referred to it as "tacky" when I ran it by her. Agreed. It won't make the cut. (At least she belly laughed before squashing my virtual dreams.)

Also during my contemplative time of deciding whether or not to blog, I have had half a million things I've wanted to write about. I am not excited about backing up to blog, but here are some things that have moved me, that I would've written about further had I started this blog about two weeks ago. They include:

  • Running the Whistlestop 10k race in Ashland last weekend and spending some good time with an old friend. The race path is gorgeous, the weather was absolutely perfect and the leaves were strikingly beautiful. 
  • Honeycrisp apples.
  • A really good eyebrow story from a favorite coworker.
  • Not believing what I can accomplish in 40 minutes these days. When life is full, it seems I have more room on my plate for additional things.
  • Michael Franti and Spearhead at the State Theater.

I sign off here excited about this new virtual journal blogging adventure. Will I continue? Will anyone read it? How long will I blog? Will I like it? 

It's tentative. And hopeful.


No comments:

Post a Comment